Monday, May 02, 2005

Happy Birthday, Mom

Today's my mother's birthday. She would have been 71, if I'm doing my math correctly. [I'm terrible at dates. Just horrible. I've met people who can remember the date, time, headlines and weather for the day they removed their great-uncle's gallbladder and I just can't. There, add that to my list of flaws.]

This would also be her 9th birthday with Jesus. I'm thinking that's a much better option than turning 71 with me. But if she could have, we would have met for lunch today, or possibly taken advantage of the gloomy overcast and hit all the shops in Hannibal instead. Or since Shawna is on her way back from Bloomington, maybe we would have met her in Springfield for a run at Target or something. The options are endless. I would have heard her laugh though, no matter what we decided to do and it would have been one of those full-out, hand-clapping laughs that I have inherited and secretly will to Shawna. I sort of blew it. Some years I've done the quaint little shop circuit "without" her just in case, and I didn't think of it soon enough. I suppose we could have a rain check on that and she would understand.

Anyway, happy birthday mom.

We miss you and talk out loud to you all the time. Dad's doing great, more handsome with each passing year, and you'd really enjoy Emma, Chandler and Harrison. I told Chandler about the night I laid next to you while you were humming "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" and how you told me you'd blow his baseballs over the fence. I'll make sure to remind him when he gets that first home run.

Emma is as tall as Veronica. She still talks about you and misses you. She was so small and she still remembers it all. And little Harrison. You would just love him to bits. When he isn't head butting one of us dumb enough to get that close. Shawna and John are starting to get really excited about the whole wedding thing, and it goes without saying we all wish you could be here. Shawna has never talked about you much but she keeps that kind of thing to herself. She isn't as "live out loud" as I am. Veronica, Emma, Shawna and I are taking a trip to Chicago to pick out her dress. I remember sitting on the floor watching Veronica try on her wedding dress for a fitting and Shawna was lying across your lap, snuggled up close under your arm. Good times.

We love you mom and miss you. Always will. But we're doing great. You rocked as far as moms go. Thanks.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

She was a very, very cool mom, and an inspiration to so many of us that had the opportunity to know her. Missed by many...

11:34 PM  
Blogger ret said...

Thanks Kristy...she sure thought you were pretty special :) and you are...

8:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home