Friday, March 18, 2005

Rejoice With Me!

An hour ago my dad called. He skipped the hello altogether and began with "rejoice with me!" While I'm smiling and expecting him to proceed with a lovely passage from Psalms or something, he says, "I have opened a double-yolked egg and my cup overfloweth!" Okay, I'm laughing now and realizing at the same time that I have his sense of humor. All these years, or most of the 45 going on 46 years, I have assumed my personality and humor were from my mom whose laugh still rings in my ears years after she died. I certainly have her passion for things- for romance, for collections, for all things beautiful and small, for family and hallmark moments. And I thought I had her sense of humor. But this random call from dad, well, that's me too. And it made me laugh. It made me tell him so. It made me call my sister and tell her. I knew I got his calves, his height, his teeth & his thankfully laid back personality, but I guess I also got his humor. I never really knew him to be funny and he is. I think maybe mom's all-out, laugh-out-loud personality reigned front and center most of the time, but he must have been funny too. I'm thinking that might have been part of what made her fall for him given her love of laughs. And it's nice to discover this part of him while I can still appreciate it. It's nice to have this sense of sharing something in common. It's nice he wanted to call me and share a quirky little moment of joy that fell unexpectedly into his skillet. It's oddly spiritual to me. I don't know. I'm still a bit irked he didn't indulge my fascination and appreciation for "The Gates" display of saffron curtains in Central Park or my temptation to drop everything & drive a day to experience it, but I'm okay with that. One can’t have everything and he is a male after all. But I am my father’s daughter, and today I understood that in a special way- even if my mom would have gone with me to see those curtains…

2 Comments:

Blogger deby said...

hey girl, i found you while checking out the quincy ppl. as for central park-you should have called. god bless and MISS you

3:06 PM  
Blogger ret said...

Lol. I think it would have been a great trip :) Miss you too.

1:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home