Monday, January 16, 2006

the movie in my head...

Well, she suspected the breakfast con which was confirmed the moment we entered the school and not the church. Were it not pancake-sausage season in our catholic community might have been a different story. Still, she smiled.

We managed the phone call with the fake message that the first swim event had been cancelled due to a problem with the pool heater which segued nicely into our spontaneous venture to the new outdoor mall with serious sales in progress. More smiles.

We then headed to the "pool" for the 5:00 event which required stopping for directions a bit more helpful than the ones I printed off the internet. My rearview mirror afforded the smile I was waiting for, the one that said in a sweet southern bell tongue, "Why, glory be. This whole thing was merely an elaborate scheme to surprise me with dinner at one of my favorite places, Jumer's Castle." Okay. The smile was there, even the twinkling eyes, but she quickly looked at John and said instead: "I told you so." No accent.

I must say that although she suspected, our cover story was acted out well enough to convince her we were indeed going to a swim meet. So, she was sort of surprised. Thing is, I just have to learn to stop blocking the scene in my mind before I set myself up for disappointment with no one to blame but yours truly. My girl is the polar opposite of me in many ways. When I laugh, I laugh. Usually involves some type of hand clap before, jiggling during and coughing after. I over decorate, over celebrate and over act. I'm excessive to a fault. She is more subdued, more restrained and much quieter. And as far as surprises go, she doesn't always surprise well. We learned that a long time ago when she froze in front of her elementary friends at a surprise miniature golf party in her honor. Or when she fumed in front of her party guests when I replaced normal candles on her cake with the ones that never go out. Or when we showed up at school on her 18th birthday and replaced her car with a brand-new jeep while she was in class. I should have expected her reaction. Actually, her lack of reaction. Family hidden and watching. Camera rolling. 3-2-1...nothing. Lol. Gotta love her. Just doesn't like to be surprised in front of an audience and never has.

She was pleased. Jumer's is a place we used to take our students for a nice dinner when we attended the IMEA All State Conference in Peoria. Kevin and Shawna went with me a couple times and Shawna, being the eternal princess, fell in love with the German castle style of the hotel and restaurant and has often asked to go back. We took her to the chateau style Jumer's in Bloomington for her 15th birthday but we agreed at the time, we preferred the one in Peoria. Or, as it turns out, our memory of the one in Peoria.

When I called, I requested the most romantic area available in honor of our special occasion. I was assured they had the perfect spot. We had early reservations to allow for the drive home and were the only people in the place. The host up front had the personality of a fly. Undeterred, I'm giddy in anticipation. I was just ready to cue the mental soundtrack of Rigoletto, (the Feature Films for Families musical not the Verdi opera . . . ) specifically "The Melody Within," when they lead us up the stairs right past the romantic tables with high back chairs and antique decor to this . . . well, this banquet room with nothing. I was crushed. Everyone was ready to claim their seat and I couldn't hide my disappointment. This was not my layout. My story board looked much different. I wasn't bitchy, but I did speak of my failed expectations. The bus boy was already filling our water glasses and we were still standing. Graciously our waitress gave me a tour and said I could have my pick, which is what I did. I apologized profusely, promised a generous gratuity and watched them pull several tables together for our party of nine. The manager apologized, explaining I had asked for a private room. I smiled, realizing "romantic" may mean private in some situations, but I had said romantic not private. I wanted candles and high back chairs. The chairs we got. The candles were never lit.

My filet was tasty. The gathering, intimate. Everything else wasn't at all what I had scripted. And that's okay. Apparently in the last 15 years or so, not only did my little girl grow up but the hotel changed owners. Jumer's is now the Radisson and white paint has updated the once enchanting halls. There is no gift shop, which Mr. Fly confirmed while slouching on his elbows, and the bear which loomed over us in a once darkened hallway is now locked away to keep moronic, insensitive patrons from plucking his claws out. They were kind enough to open it and let us have a look. Still looming but clawless and dusty. I hugged Shawna and apologized for the unexpected changes around us and mourned the memory of an enchanted time. The food was okay, but I can think of a dozen other places I'd rather eat. Still, I think she appreciated the effort we made trucking almost three hours each way to surprise her and celebrate what she means to us. I've just seriously got to stop orchestrating the perfect frame in this mind of mine. Life seldom antes up and actually the real stuff isn't always so bad. A significant part of what lands on the floor is some pretty amazing footage all said and done.

And scene.

2 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

Oooh, the Shoppes at Grand Prairie in Peoria??? Love it. Mom goes there just to look at the button display for the Holocaust.

Bummer things didn't work out as you had envisioned... but hey, it's the thought that counts :)

8:21 AM  
Blogger ret said...

That button display was something. A lot to take in...

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home