Sunday, August 31, 2008

nailed by the cross..

When services ended this morning we stripped the series backdrop to prepare for the new one beginning next weekend. Already weary from a long weekend I began my mental vent over the mess in the green room that awaited me before I could leave. [My weekly ritual includes returning the  left over donuts to the coffee counter in the lobby; recycling the numerous charts and tech sheets left behind; cleaning the coffee machine; emptying everyone's coffee cups and picking up trash which multiplies supernaturally over the course of three services. I then have to grab my laptop, my charts, my in-ears, purse and you get the picture.] As I'm turning off all the lights and loading up my stuff, I remember one more thing I almost forgot to do and that's when He nailed me. My head was filled with all the makings of a pity party when I sat my stuff back down in order to pick up the tray and return it to the communion room. 

And then I remembered.

This is my body.

This is my blood.

Do this.

I immediately pictured Him in the green room of my heart thinking my most recent thoughts: "I just cleaned this up. Who does she think will pick up after her? Seriously, Loretta, is this necessary?"  I picked up my 'towel' and committed to do this, and everything else He calls me to do, in memory of Him...

'When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. ' -John 13:12-15

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home