Saturday, April 08, 2006

Kevin did me the small courtesy of running some errands with me the other night. Given how he hates this type of tedious activity it was a more significant courtesy for him to extend than you might think. He also manned the wheel for the evening which given his impatience with traffic, his irritation with my backseat driving and his apparent narcoleptic-like boredom with watching the road, was also a most lovely gesture. Any trip beyond the city borders I captain by default. He simply cannot stay awake and gets too annoyed with directions; although if anyone gets us lost, it's me. All this to share how funny he was when we drove out to Kohl's, which is located east of the city in a shopping development in progress. I had been "directing" him from store to store in a logical & efficient progression. As we passed Wal-Mart, Home Depot and finally the exit to the interstate that leads to all things dangerous, he grabbed the wheel with forced confidence and pure determination and proclaimed with great pride that he was now driving way beyond his limits. You should have seen him squeezing the wheel and hitting the blinker for the exit lane. Like he was landing his first plane. Well done, I said. Or tried to say. I laughed for a long time...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home