Monday, September 03, 2007

Sometimes I use seasonal pictures of Shawna to decorate the house. I'm itching to unbox my fall collection, eager to see the ones of her in her first Halloween costume, the one with her SIU sweatshirt and side ponytail, the one in her Baby Gap sweater and the pumpkins...I love my girl. I will however miss the ones currently gracing the kitchen bay window.

There's one of her sitting in a plastic basket in the middle of her kiddie-pool donning sunglasses.
There's one of her sitting on Kevin's lap sharing a buttery cob of corn.

My favorite though is the one I just picked up and stared at for the longest time. Surrounded by a blue frame with stars all around is this tanned, toothless 6-year old holding a red balloon in her arms. She's wearing denim over-all shorts with no shirt and I can almost feel her skin and smell her long, beautiful hair with its natural summer highlights. So cute. So very cute. It was taken the night of my dad's 60th surprise party and seems like another life, another lifetime ago. Makes me sad and happy at the same time. They laugh at me when I tell them I'm obsessed with obituaries. I am. I see these days of ours slipping through my wrinkled fingers and I know I might not even get around to hauling those fall boxes out of the basement. So I took time to stare at the picture and remember when I took it and how much I love all that is my Shawna. Crowder's right: Everybody wants to go to heaven but nobody wants to die. Well, without some say in the matter. So as dad used to say: "Make the most of every day. Maybe you will or you won't. But take it from old Papa G, you'll regret it if you don't..."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home