Friday, January 04, 2008

So the pet store is baulking a bit over refunding my money. They'd give me a "replacement" but feel as if their liability ends with the closing of their cash drawer. Several self-initiated phone calls later they agree to my refund within 30 days allowing them time to secure another puppy from the same breeder and sell it. Since we're talking a chunk of change it's seems my best option. I stop in yesterday feeling up for the confrontation and though having a brave start succumb to tears as my questions are addressed. My head tells me that not only was this just a puppy, but it was also a puppy I had had for only 5 days. My heart remains collapsed at best. I breathe and resume, failing to recover the vet cost [another chunk of change] but am "assured" they are working with the breeder to see if something can be arranged. Did I mention that eight puppies died? Did I mention that although she still claims they were unaware Mallie was at risk, I have since learned that they vaccinated at least one of her siblings after we bought Mallie and never bothered to call us and tell us she were exposed to parvo? Behind me stood another victim in search of answers and compensation. Her puppy got the extra shot but still died so I'm not sure it would have helped in the end, we could have just had her tested 3 days sooner.

They are still selling puppies. Flies and all. I went into complete tunnel vision over this little dog. Once I picked her up I became an idiot. Now I'm a sniffling idiot who for the first day since this happened hasn't cried. I left the store (returning briefly to give my name and number to the girl behind me to the alarm of the owner) and spent the drive between the mall and the vet's office composing myself and hoisting up my big girl panties long enough to pay the bill. At the counter they hand me a snack-size baggie with her little collar inside. Okay, so much for the tearless streak today. This has simply reduced me to great sadness and melancholy. And anger. And pouting. And distraction. And resolve. I will get my money. I will get that girl's money and I will do the best I can to get them out of the puppy business. 

In the mean time, after fruitless hours of Internet searches for another Shorkie that looks like her, (and hearing Kevin confess to the same) I find my sorry self actually entertaining the brainless notion of returning to the same breeder for a healthy pup that looks like my baby. I'll have to wait a month or so to be sure the virus no longer lives among us no matter what I decide to do but I want another Mallie. Sooner than later.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home