Sunday, June 05, 2005

13 candles...

I remember standing in the hospital hallway outside the delivery room waiting for Veronica to deliver her first baby. Moments later we were introduced to Emma Lee [first name] Christine [middle name]. Emma was my paternal grandmother's name and Christina Lee was my maternal grandmother's name. [She "hailed" from Kentucky so Chris"tina" was pronounced with a long I. My grandpa called her "Tiny".] My middle name is also Christina so she's named after me a bit as well.

Emma Lee turned 13 today amid a swim meet in St. Louis all weekend. I arranged to have flowers waiting for her in their hotel room when they arrived yesterday and then tonight as they arrived back in town we sent 13 bottle rockets left over from last year's near fatal fireworks display into the night sky to welcome her home. We then feasted on an ice cream cake from DQ and finished the evening with the two boys pretty much immobilizing their aunt both in and outside the house with a sundry of karate & wrestling moves. And I would be remiss if I didn't include the fact that John "took me down" on the front lawn. Twice. That boy is gonna get it some day...I was just thankful I didn't pee my pants which often threatens in situations like this.

It would have been a perfect evening if Abby hadn't gone at a full run from dad's truck in through the front door [wood floors] that happened to open at just the right time and she gained entrance to the foyer and kitchen before Kevin could stop her. I wasn't in the house but I guess it wasn't pretty. We are a dog-free residence and are apt to stay that way if Kevin has anything to do with it...

All said and done, it was a fine night. Ribs on the grill, fresh corn on the cob and a bit of football/softball tossing in the yard...[missed ya, B...]

I'm planning to take Emma to Hannibal one day this week and have her pampered at Shawna's school. It should be a lot of fun and seems like something a new teen would enjoy.

It's been a full weekend. Played for a wedding at MPCC Saturday, two graduation parties to go to, and once again an amazing morning in worship. Going to be a cool series I think..."The Hitchhiker's Guide"...today it was on Romans 1:16. I enjoy the extra effort they put into setting the stage every week. Always something to make it "stick". Good stuff.

Have a great Monday. Erin called from Greece today...crazy. It was midnight there at the time. I suppose she'll be getting up pretty soon. Too cool.

night.

4 Comments:

Blogger Lowery said...

Oh man. I miss that. I have not yet been to a good cookout (Friday's got washed out) and I haven't thrown the ball for soooooo long. I hate it.

8:28 AM  
Blogger ret said...

Soon B. Soon...

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds too sweet will you adopt me and be my aunt...granted IM not 13 anymore but I still act like it!!!

2:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

ok obviously this "13" year old needs to learn to use this computer!! yes ret, its me the ginster...Hammy and all!!!!

2:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home