Wednesday, June 01, 2005

Love is Eternal...

Tomorrow is the 21st anniversary of the day I married my Kevin. In honor of that I'm going to post the first 21 things I think of when I think of him in no specific order:
  1. The way he says out loud all the thoughts that run non-stop in his head-
  2. The way he surveys our walls for cracks and smudges-
  3. The way he uses his index finger to stroke his chin when he's talking-
  4. The way he tries to say Blogojevich and butchers it every time-
  5. The way he makes me laugh at stuff that wouldn't be all that funny to anyone else-
  6. The way he worries about us-
  7. The way he gets worked up over taxes and headlines-
  8. The way he laughs out loud when he's watching tv after I've gone to bed-
  9. The way he gets up at 5:30 every morning so he has time to watch Buffy-
  10. The way he reminds us to watch out for the mailbox when we back out of the drive-
  11. The way he runs when Abby comes after him-
  12. The way he hates PC's-
  13. The way he uses words that only sound like the one he really means to use-
  14. The way he sounds when I hear him singing in the bathroom getting ready-
  15. The way he saves his Sunday clothes for Monday morning-
  16. The way he gets lost driving across town-
  17. The way he freaks out with sudden changes to his environment-
  18. The way he only drinks from a new carton of milk & refuses to share food-
  19. The way he lays awake all night when it storms-
  20. The way he keeps showing up night after night-
  21. The way he makes me feel when I see him-

This man called me for piano lessons when I was in college. This man smelled amazing in the tiny practice rooms at Quincy College. This man never knew what hit him. I told my mom I would marry this man one day, and God bless him, he went along with it.

He gave me a rose for our very first Valentine's Day together. The card said, "Love is Eternal" because he's always liked that book about Lincoln. All these years later and he still signs his cards that way and still means it with all his heart. I'm not the easiest bride to be had, but he has always managed to love me and make me feel like I'm the best thing that ever happened to him. He tells me often how much he likes this life we have and he tells me I'm beautiful and smart. He gets annoyed with my spending habits and my know-it-all attitudes. He thinks I should worry more about property assessments and pick up my shoes when I take them off. He'll never understand how I can kiss a dog on the nose or watch Law and Order and not be annoyed by the bonking sound at the end of each scene and that's as okay as it can be. I'll never get how he can fall asleep mid-sentence, eat a meal without something to drink or watch Midway for the gazillionth time. I like being as different as night is from day and most days I love our little quirks and habits-mostly because they belong to "us". This "us" that before long will have outlasted our "him" and "her" from lives lived on our own. I love my Kevin and always will... eternally if God be willing.

3 Comments:

Blogger deby said...

I am so happy for you-ain't love grand!

One of the things I love about him is he is so real. No games. And as I am getting older - a no games person is the kind I like to surround myself with. Life is way too short.

Have a wonderful day. Maybe he can get you down to Herman MO. I told him quite awhile back that he needed to take you as it is a neat, romantic little town. So is San Antonio - if you help him find his way out of Quincy the possiblities are unlimited!

7:54 AM  
Blogger sara said...

Reading something like that makes me think marriage is ALL it is cracked up to be! Thanking God HE gave you a good one Loretta and hoping you and Kev have many more wonderful years to laugh together (or at least at each other)! Inspires me to pray and wait for God's best even more:)

9:29 AM  
Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

I love this.

11:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home