Thursday, June 30, 2005

branson...

Besides his birthday, my future son-in-law has two favorite holidays: Christmas Eve & July 4th. Besides a drum throne, my future son-in-law has two favorite locations: our family room sofa & Branson, USA. Besides fog machines, my future son-in-law has two favorite passions: lights & fireworks.

Fortunately for him, we will leave Sunday morning to spend the 4th of July, in Branson watching....fireworks. And since they are legal in Missouri...I'm sure he'll get his hands on some before the night is over.

Unfortunately for Kevin, we're leaving Sunday morning to spend the 4th of July, in Branson watching... fireworks. And he's already whining about it.

Rewind: It's the week of January 10th. I'm knee deep in boxes after moving everything home from my office at church. I'm also knee deep in all the emotional baggage that followed me home. The phone rings. I picked up. She had me at "you've been selected". When she asked if I could give her the names of all my friends...I gave her Veronica's number. We're all going. John can't wait...I would never do it justice to describe how animated he gets about Branson and his love affair with this place...but it's quite a funny thing. He loves it all: the gospel music halls, the souvenir strip, the miniature golf, the water park and....the night life [the place does stay up longer than anything around these here parts...] and the fact that he's going there with Shawna is about to put the kid in heart arrest.

Then there's Kevin. He found out today that my dad is stubbornly refusing to go. He says it isn't fair that he has to go, that I'm ruining his 3 day weekend and I have no idea how hard he works and looks forward to these holidays. All crammed up in a van for 3 days....who's gonna watch the cat...we're not buying fireworks...you wouldn't like it if I planned your life for you...it's going to be hot...I'm not swimming...I could care less about Branson...we're talking some major complaining here folks.

I'm still waiting for the right time to tell him we both have to listen to a 90 -minute spiel about their timeshares...but hey, it was $44 for two nights and I was after all..."selected". Besides, it's only once a year we're treated to John's "showchoiresque" rendition of "God Bless the USA" and I'm betting on multiple performances when he's smack dab in the middle of Branson on the 4th of July!

*I hope Shawna isn't disappointed with his honeymoon plans for the two of them. Can you see the look on her face when he tells her they have an "appointment" the morning after? "...it'll only take 90 minutes..." Would not be surprised :)

6 Comments:

Blogger Kristy said...

Ah.... has Sha really thought this whole marriage thing through??? :) That Johnny boy is something else... and I could totally envision the "God Bless the USA" bit... Our lives would have not been complete without knowing John Russell... enjoy your time in Branson :)

9:12 PM  
Blogger sara said...

I have been blessed for many years to experience the whole "John" thing in Branson and on the 4th. The kid is nuts about Branson - I think deep down he always wished he was born a Presley (seriously, check out the show when your down there, it's a hoot - I'm sure John won't leave without hearin "Rocky Top Tennessee") :) Branson is a blast - you all are going to have fun. Please take a video camera along and record John in his best moments!

8:28 AM  
Blogger sara said...

Seriously wouldn't put it past John with the whole honeymoon thing...I heard him talking about it before (actually in front of Sha)....she totally shut him down with "the look"! Hilarious!

8:31 AM  
Blogger ret said...

I'll bet he got "the look". Lol.I can see him dreaming about front row seats and having them announce "Welcome, honeymooners, John and Shawna Nobis! All the way from Quincy, Illinois!!"

8:53 AM  
Blogger sara said...

You just got a big laugh out of me from that one. And John and Shawna NOBIS...was that a slip or are you two secretly planning something that you'll fill John in on later??? :) LOL!

10:48 AM  
Blogger ret said...

Uh oh. Lol. Didn't catch that...let's make that Mitchell, shall we? Shhh...

10:58 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home