Tuesday, September 20, 2005

needle point, anyone?...

I promise not to journal about our day-to-day weight loss, but I must tell you of our first week.

We had too much going on Saturday to make the meeting as scheduled, so Kevin and I trekked across town in the rain last night to the Monday session. After purchasing a stack of WW cookbooks we found our place in line. So glad Kevin and I are doing this together. Much easier. Anyway, he went behind the screen first and I hear her say, "Good job, Kevin! You had a great first week." He beams and says he lost 5.4 lbs. I knew he would. He took to this whole thing immediately and in our similar "buddy" diet experiences he always loses way faster than me. Expected. I congratulate him and step into place, worried a little that our trip to Jeff City and not being able to find WW friendly places to eat might take its toll. Not all that great at math, but I'm quickly trying to do the numbers and realize that my competitive spirit would be unexpectedly quenched this evening: 7 lbs. I was stunned. I managed to find my seat beside him, inform him of my progress [a.k.a. win] and resist the urge to jump and holler, knowing full well I may need to draw from that well of success for the weeks to come...

He kept looking at me and we laughed about our foolish tendencies. I was so proud of him. He was proud of me. We sat through the meeting's "devo" on how to reframe our eating habits and noticed our reason for eating, late night or otherwise, never made it to the board: because it TASTES good. I don't eat when I'm angry, I clean. I don't eat when I'm stressed, I make people miserable. I don't eat when I'm celebrating, I......shop. I eat because it tastes good. They suggested various alternatives for replacing these urges: knitting, exercise, cleaning, painting, phoning a friend...all quite helpful.

We walked to the car discussing how we're just going to rock at this and how much we're looking forward to being a little closer to who we were once upon a time and Kevin says: "I still think it's because my shoes are wet. I should have changed shoes." Man, this guy makes me laugh. Whole new perspective on water retention. We headed to the Bee's for a WW dinner and talked about little else than our poundage. Later last night, as we placed the first of John's LOST season one in the player, Kevin waltzed past me sarcastically suggesting we pass on the baked Doritos’s and salsa [in point controlled portion] and opt instead for some rousing embroidery or home maintenance to keep our hands busy. We're mocking now. Give us time, we'll eat paper...but for now, we seem to be off to a nice start.

8 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Congrats. If you want to do home repairs you can a)come to my place too or b)come help out with Know Sweat!!

Maybe there's a marketing tool you've helped me discover......KS and WW......

11:25 AM  
Blogger Lowery said...

This post made me laugh. Thanks for that. And while you're at it, could you and Kev knit a doiley for my coffeetable. That would be swell.

11:37 AM  
Blogger ret said...

gil- I think there's already a "sweating with the oldies" out there somewhere...check.

b-be so careful what you ask for...

11:45 AM  
Blogger sara said...

Way to go guys! Great first week...you're an inspiration to us all:) Needle point mmm?? You should tease John and Sha about embroidering his/her's towels, blankets, etc. for their new home. Actually, John may like that idea and then would start giving you swatches with color schemes...may need to rethink that idea:) REALLY PROUD OF YOU!!

1:27 PM  
Blogger deby said...

great news!!!

Don't tell Kev, but most persons take their shoes off when weighing in. Just in case you need that extra to win for another week.

I really am proud of you!

5:31 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I'm thinking an owl motiff would work great for the doilies...what do you think?

7:13 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

How about wolves to remember his upbringing by....

3:55 PM  
Blogger Lowery said...

Ha! Totally had forgotten about the ole' wolves video. The owl motif would be lovely.

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home