Monday, October 03, 2005

somebody pinch me...

If I had known that a worship experience like I had yesterday morning was waiting to be found just minutes from where I had spent years searching for it, I would never have believed it. And, truth be known, I would never have felt the freedom to embrace it without the painful process leading me there. Different strokes for different folks, agreed, but my heart has craved a more demonstrative worship atmosphere for years as well as a body of believers actively engaged in listening. And by engaged, I mean audibly responsive to the Word of God being preached and applauded as it resonates and convicts and returns in no way, no how, empty. [I am not negating the sincerity of silent listeners in more reserved forms of worship as it is not my place to judge what is or isn't going on in their hearts. I have just often struggled with that silence and questioned why reverence is often equated with sitting still and enthusiasm reserved for athletic/concert events etc. I have also wondered if it is in any way even possible to look bored and half asleep when engaged in His presence.] What might be described as electricity in the air at a secular event, can only be explained as the Holy Spirit alive and well, quenching the thirst and hunger of a people who just can't seem to get enough, and there I am, in the midst of them. The thing is, this has been a recurring experience, week after week, month after month and seems to be deepening and taking shape as if the sheer glory of His presence is actually molding and changing the worship we offer and the way in which we offer it, into this beautiful sacrifice that has a life of its own; and in the offering becomes this amazing gift He gives back to those who offer it. I just have to smile and quietly take it all in: how I got here, why I got here, and where it's all going. A year ago, my world was simply falling apart and today, it has not only been lovingly put back together, it looks more beautiful than I ever remember it, and only the Creator of my universe could do something like that.


"Now to him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, for ever and ever! Amen."
-Ephesians 3:20-21

2 Comments:

Blogger sara said...

Amen my friend. God can do more than we can ask or imagine and if we look a little closer we can see Him at work every moment and in every aspect of our lives. Most of the time, we are too wrapped up to see His beautiful winks and smiles. Glad He's been winking at you and lovin on you:)

4:07 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

Woooohoooo! What a service! Man, that rocked, didn't it? I'm shouting it out. Wow. Actually replayed the closing thoughts in my head over and over today. Even verbalized them to one of my customers. Wow. Powerful. Incomprehensible. The Holy Spirit was indeed present and has orchestrated some fantastic treks on this journey...so thankful to be on this side of the river. Even better that I'm on this side with you and so many others I love and cherish.
Wow.

7:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home