Friday, May 13, 2005

Try not. Do, or do not. There is no try.

When our family gets together we don't even have to try to have a good time...it's always a given, and we had an amazing time last night celebrating the 6th birthday of our precious Harrison. I believe the #1 hit of the evening was the voice changer Vader mask that grandpa gave him with the light saber that we gave him coming in 2nd. My personal favorite was the animated Yoda, which in a moment of weakness I may purchase for my own personal enjoyment. He's the cutest thing. Pretty lifelike for a latex version of a fictional character. His little eyes and mouth move and his fingers and arms. Way. Too. Cute.

Little mini-Darth was sleeping this morning when I called but Veronica said as soon as his feet hit the floor she heard the "breathing" as he came downstairs. He's a fan for sure. John and Shawna are going to the midnight showing of the final episode Wednesday night to be among other crazy people who can't wait to see it. [Sounds like fun actually. But did they ask me if I wanted to go???]

Remembering what it felt like to watch someone else open their presents, we also gave all three kids Cardinal jerseys, which was another hit. [John was jealous. He should have gotten me a ticket...] The boys have "Pujols 5" on the back...pretty cool. Chandler looks quite studly in his and is beginning to know it. Also very cute.

I love spending time with my family. It isn't a heavy sadness, but mom is always "missed". We are just not complete without her and at times like this the missing chair seems more obvious than at others, but we celebrate such moments with all the love she taught us to share. Dad wore a button with her picture on his shirt pocket and without saying anything we all just "know". And we say things like "Mom would have liked little Yoda." or "Mom would have made him a Darth costume" or "I wish you could have known your grandma Harrison. She would have enjoyed you to bits." And Veronica and I smile at each other and silently acknowledge that we wish she were here. We'll do that tomorrow for sure. When Shawna steps out of the dressing room with that first gown draping her long, slender young frame and her beautiful little face searches ours for approval, well pass the kleenex. Maybe the tears will wait for the walk down the aisle, but I'm going prepared all the same.

We have an appointment at "The Magnificent Bride" in the morning and one at "The House of Brides" in the afternoon. I'm hoping for beautiful weather so we can walk around a bit and find a special place to eat lunch. Just the four of us "girls" enjoying in many ways the first significant ritual of her matrimonial journey. This is why I asked my doctor twice if "it" was a girl. Only when I held "her" did my heart fast forward to this very day so far into the future. How is it possible to love like this...I just know I do.

Blessings on your weekend...if you're up at 5:00 am, might call and make sure we didn't miss the train :)

2 Comments:

Blogger deby said...

have an awesome time Loretta - I'll be praying for your safety, weather, and good buys!

7:30 PM  
Blogger Angie said...

Take the Kleenex!!! Take the camera too!! Some of my favorite "pre-wedding" memories are from "playing" in the bridal shops with the women in my life. Enjoy your day rain or shine it'll be a memory you'll never ever forget. Good luck with picking just one because I'm sure that Sha will make every single one of them look Beautiful!! Love you guys!!

8:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home