Monday, June 06, 2005

ponderings...

Honestly since her early days in high school I haven't had a ton of time to spend with Shawna...just the two of us. Plenty of hours chalked up in worship rehearsals, youth activities etc. but not so much just the two of us like it used to be when she was small. And once that Mitchell boy decided she was worth his attention I spend a lot of time with "them" just not with "her".

Today was her Monday off and since John had to work, she was all mine :) She slept in a little and then we surfed the net a bit looking for the "dress". Still a work in progress but fun. I fixed us some lunch to eat while we watched half of "Days" and then we decided to give Tigger a much needed haircut.

Tigger is 21 as you know and doesn't maintain her lovely coat as well as she used to. Usually I take her to a groomer but I've had trouble getting her an appointment...so. Sha got out her clippers and scissors and went to work on her in the front yard. There were so many clumps of hair on the lawn it looked like Kevin ran over a rabbit or two with the mower.

Shawna worked on her for two hours, including a shampoo & rinse with the garden hose and a blow dry to try and transform what looked like some type of scrawny sci-fi creature to more of what resembled our previously pampered, though aging pet. Hours later she is still trying to figure out what hit her.

While we were out there I told Sha how glad I was God has chosen to lend her to me when there were so many other mothers to choose from. And she says, "why?" It was one of those moments I almost missed. I was watering flowers across the yard while she was grooming the cat and I almost didn't hear what she said. It reminded me of the phrase I would sing to her when she was small, sometimes just to remind her I was there. I would sing, "Who's my special girl?" and her little voice would answer, "I am, I am." Lol. I can hear John making a puking noise in my head right now...he's not sure what to think of this love affair I have with my baby girl. But that voice that asked me why today sounded a little like that same voice still searching for confirmation, for affirmation, for perhaps a more mature understanding of exactly what was so special about her after all.

Well. I told her a few things today. But I'm gonna start writing them down and give them to her before she leaves and cleaves. Just so she never forgets...

Anyway...

It was like 90 degrees out by the time we finished with the feline, but Shawna coaxed me into taking the walk we had planned on taking earlier in the morning. Mercy it was warm. But a quick dip in the pool made the hour I spent thinking I was gonna need a paramedic seem like ancient history.

We got ready and headed to Krieger's for dinner with John and Kevin. Nice times. Love those two [J & S]separately. Together it's almost more than I can contain. Kevin and John both advised her to pass up the purchase of additional footwear but we sent them off to Radio Shack and headed to a couple of our favorite spots to blatantly defy them both.

John left for his softball game, Sha left for her volleyball game and I made Kevin guard our purchases on a bench outside Maurice's while I popped in to pick out a couple things to surprise her with when she gets home tonight. [He "gave" me three minutes. He sat patiently for at least 20.]

We stopped at the KC's and caught her last two games then headed home.

I simply adore my Shawna. Always have. Always will. She's not perfect, but darn if she ain't close. She's my indescribably special girl and it was a beautiful surprise to spend this day with her all to myself...

4 Comments:

Blogger deby said...

and Garfield hates Mondays! He never had one like this.

I am still amazed that Tigger allowed the garden hose, not to mention the blow dryer, to be used on her. Is this because her age keeps her at bay?

3:28 AM  
Blogger ret said...

We had the hose on gently, and I think her hearing is nearly gone. Besides, I think it was more attention from Shawna than she had gotten for a long time too! The two of them were inseperable for years! She's still kicking this morning and acting more like normal. She was bit weird all night...I think her "trim" feels funny or something. She still has hair but it is a bit thinner. [And I used to hate Mondays too!]

7:41 AM  
Blogger sara said...

I think she's pretty close to perfect myself! Glad she chose John rather than some other boy - I know he will treat her like a princess. She is awesome isn't she?

8:48 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

Along this journey you're on, you've questioned your actions and wondered if you did the right thing but the next time you start thinking about that... remember these moments, and the extra time you've been getting with Kevin... and how you'd probably miss most of those because of "team practice" or something. Excited that you get this opportunity before Sha leaves. You guys are really lucky to get that time...

9:02 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home