Friday, July 01, 2005

stuff...

I have too much of it. Many people do, but I probably put a large percentage of them to shame. I have a picture that hangs above my kitchen sink, "Never enough baskets". My sister was a Longaberger consultant for several years so my collection grew nicely and more affordably, although I shiver to think how much $$$ is accumulated on my shelves.

I was deservedly embarrassed and at the same time giddily surprised to climb up and retrieve my large picnic basket to use as part of my patriotic display in the foyer...only to hear it clink with what appeared to be several items inside of some mystery to me. This is where I shamed myself. There were several summer season Longaberger items within that I had completely forgotten I had. I'm not sure I've ever used them. It was at the same time a bit humiliating and totally cool. I really like what I found and it was fun discovering them all over again.

I almost opted to skip the rwb decor for the year, since we'll be gone over the 4th, but I went ahead and dug some stuff out and tinkered with them last night. My cousin Jill, Veronica and I have for years and years, remembered each other on every holiday with some small seasonal item, which as the years progress and collections grow, seems to become more difficult to do. Well, Jill gave us each this adorable chip dish shaped like a star complete with rwb nacho chips to go with it and I felt compelled to decorate. I must say that there is something quite fun about coming downstairs the morning after I change "seasons"...a fresh eye...a little variety. Fun stuff.

There's that "stuff" word again. I have a lot of seasonal "stuff". When we moved to this house, we did so in a hurry in the same week as the cantata and I hadn't completely sifted through things. [Still haven't] I remember my nephew Tommy standing in the middle of the assembly line that was hauling boxes from the truck outside to the basement yelling out seasons as they passed. "St. Patrick's Day"..."Valentine's Day"... "Easter"... "Halloween"... "Halloween"... more "Halloween"... "Oh my.... here comes Christmas!"

He's a funny one that one. I should give him a nice starter collection when he marries Whitney...oh, well. I come from a long line of stuff hoarders and from the looks of it, Shawna is off to a nice start. But if you ever need a leprechaun soap dispenser, I'm your gal.

5 Comments:

Blogger deby said...

you could just wrap up some of your unpacked boxes for Whitney/Tommy as wedding presents! It could get pretty interesting at the unwrapping party. Don't you just love Whitney!

11:45 AM  
Blogger Kristy said...

This post brought back memories of years and years of piano lessons. I used to love coming over and see how from lesson to lesson it seemed the decor would change....

wow, this makes me feel old...that was so long ago...

11:48 AM  
Blogger ret said...

Deby: That might be pretty funny..and yes, I like her a lot.

Kristy: Now. Now. Be careful...I have 20+ years on you kid :)

11:52 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey girl,
maybe you should have a garage sale in your spare time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2:45 PM  
Blogger ret said...

In a perfect world. I HATE tagging that stuff. I participated with the subdivision last fall and ended up just telling people...take it, how about that box for $1? Got rid of a lot, but I'm talking....STUFF. Lol.

10:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home