Friday, August 26, 2005

beauty school and then some...

Well. My baby just graduated from beauty school today. She's yet to take her boards but that's soon to follow. I nearly made the mistake of underestimating the importance of this day to Shawna. I was planning to take some food for their traditional lunch carry-in they have when someone graduates and staying to eat with her, but I had actually told my family, including Kevin, not to bother coming, it wasn't a big deal. Well, in the process of food preparation last night I quickly realized the gravity of the mistake I was ready to make. Shawna doesn't exactly show emotions externally equivalent to her feelings internally, nothing new. But her little face last night [listen to me describing her as a little girl...]revealed enough disappointment for me to seriously re-think my assumptions. First thing this morning I "encouraged" Kevin to take the time off and be there, I invited my dad and left a message for Veronica. I then called Underbrink's Bakery, who by divine intervention I'm convinced, had enough single angel food cakes for all the students to have one. Not a bad morning's work. By 11:30 I was pulling into the parking lot [alone] and bearing arms full of party.

She was glad to see me and I had a brief flash back of "special persons day" when she was in elementary school. I decided to let Shawna believe I was flying solo and the two of us got a plate and made a trip through the food line. Believing it was just the two of us for the day, she asked if she could give me a facial, having several services to complete on her check-list. Sure. Why not. I'll be laying there with mud on my face when my family shows up. Perfect. And almost on cue in walks my dad and sister, complete with sarcasm. As I processed, Shawna got them some lunch and then they all sat in a room watching Shawna massage my face. It must have looked inviting because my dad consented to indulge and Shawna soon had his long frame stretched out on the chaise, layering steaming towels on his bearded face. Fun times. She opened her gifts from all of us and Kevin showed up. Got him some lunch and followed her back to her station.

Kevin enjoyed watching her give my dad a hair cut and stayed to watch her give a color and cut to a returning client. Dad and Veronica left in time to collect her kids from school and John arrived in time to help us start packing things up. I honestly think it meant a lot to Shawna for us all to be there and she was surprised. The more I thought about it all, we've always been front and center for her many events over the years...applauding and cheering like family do. But today, this was something that really mattered to her, more than a volleyball game, more than an orchestra concert, more than many other things she's really good at. This was her first "choice". Her first major decision and if she's like the rest of us, she's searching for the confirmation that it was the right one. It was important to her for us to see her there, to cheer her on, to approve and applaud with our presence. It was a big deal even if there was no stage full of faculty or tassels to deal with. This was the completion of a major chapter in her life's story, a chapter she wrote all by herself and she needed us to notice. A chapter well done.

I almost missed it. Quite thankful I didn't...

1 Comments:

Blogger sara said...

dag gum Loretta...you always make me cry with your beautiful words. I'm tellin ya woman...you need to write a book. love ya!
what is it close to 3 days now? yee-haw!
i was a thinkin that we need to have a little worship session in your piano room when I come home. just a little singin and playin...it would be good for the soul I reckon!

9:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home