Wednesday, August 03, 2005

and your little dog too...

I just read Gil's post about a kool-aid stand and it reminded me of something that happened to us last summer.

We were leaving Bay Watch Restaurant after a Sunday lunch with family and we drove past a low income housing area where there were two kids selling kool-aid. I had a twenty right there in my hand and told Kevin to pull over. We'd make their day. So I wait in the van as he makes his way back down the street to get us some drinks. Well. Ends up, I can see this little devil dog running at Kevin who HATES, HATES, HATES, dogs of any kind, let alone little devil dogs and I have the air running and the windows up and can't hear a thing. The two kids and their mom are all in the yard and do NOTHING about their possessed little canine or the other that runs to join it. I'm laughing. Kevin has his hands in the air with the paper cups of watered-down, luke warm, sugar water and he's shaking his leg. Hard. If the kids weren't watching he would have probably drop kicked them both down the block. As he gets to the van, I can see the little girl discover the twenty and run toward her mom waving it in the air. ["Look mom! Meth money!"] No one called their dog off.

Now granted it was a little dog and Kevin is a big man. But he got to the van with this stunned look on his face and says, "That dog ripped my pants!" And sure enough, there was a sizable chunk of khaki fabric missing from the leg of his pants and a small abrasion underneath. He hands me the drink, which I quickly pour out the window and after the shock of that lady doing nothing wears off...no apology, no attempt to come get her dog... we have ourselves a good laugh. Actually, well into the afternoon. We are yet to understand why they didn't come running to get those dogs. We could have actually filed charges and had the little darlings, well you know...a little kool-aid of their own :)

Moral of this story: Keep driving or only stop at stands with drive-thru service.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Only Kevin would have bad luck doing a good deed! That guy rocks!
Kool Aid: $20
New Khaki Pants: $25
Band Aid: $1.00
Kevin dealing with yappy dog: Priceless

2:09 PM  
Blogger ret said...

No kidding. Thanks for reminding me of it all. It was one funny scene...

3:52 PM  
Blogger Pam said...

I was laughing (okay, it was a gaffaw) right out loud and had to read it to Yvonne. I can just see Kevin doing that. That is priceless indeed!

9:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home