Wednesday, October 05, 2005

So I noticed him reaching for his cane as he transferred his weight from the grocery cart to his trusty, well worn friend. I noticed how slowly life had dictated he move and that his aged hands trembled as he placed his items on the conveyor belt. I placed the plastic divider between his things and mine and heard him tell the cashier he had forgotten his check book in the car and would have to go get it. He apologized and asked if she could total his things and set them aside, which she assured him would not be a problem. My hesitation allowed him time to shuffle almost to the door as I asked the bagger to run and tell him not to bother...I had already paid for them. Not sure he'd agree to let me, so I avoided eye contact and instead busied myself with my cart full of low-fat-splenda-instead-of-sugar-lean-and-wheat-diet-delights. I heard the cashier ask him if he needed help getting them to the car, so I knew he was still standing there and when I turned around he was waiting to tell me to come to his car and he would reimburse me. I smiled, patted him on the arm and asked him if he'd just let me get them, if he'd just let me do something that would make me feel good, that it wasn't that big of a deal. His 80 something lips began to quiver and his eyes filled with tears. He couldn't speak, so he just turned and walked toward the door. Such a tiny, frail man. The cashier thanked me and said how nice it was of me to do something like that. I said, I don't have my grandpas around anymore and it just wasn't that big of a deal. But you know...it's been a long time since spending $34 made me feel so incredibly wonderful. Not looking for a pat on the back, just hoping that in the sharing you might look for some way to pass along a random kindness. It sure makes a difference.

I had a cart load. Took a while to check out, bag it up and head to the car, and the man was just getting in his car when I walked past. He was still moving slowly, but I hope his heart was dancing. I know mine was.

3 Comments:

Blogger deby said...

It amazes me that God indeed did make us to "fill up" while giving rather than taking. It also amazes me that when receiving such a "fill up", there are such long times in between giving.........

Have a wonderful week!

8:27 AM  
Blogger ret said...

I know. Didn't take that long to reach out but I seem to spend more time holding on...

8:34 AM  
Blogger sara said...

Okay Loretta. Either I'm struggling with excess hormones or I'm just a sap, cause that story made me tear up...seriously! How sweet is that? So many older people may feel forgotten by family or friends...heck, they may be all alone in this world. What you did was beautiful, and though it may not have seemed like much, I know it made a huge deal to him and he will probably never forget it. Thank you for being Jesus to that man...good reminder to be on the lookout for other opportunities.

3:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home