Tuesday, September 26, 2006

The change in seasons. Autumn activities. October around the corner. I miss dad. Plain and simple. A year ago he helped me bury my cat in the front yard. A week later he brought me a bag of apples. And then he was gone. Just gone. Veronica and I were saying that there's something harder about not having dad around. I guess when we lost mom, as tough as it was on all of us, we had dad. With them both gone, boy the melancholy settles in sometimes and the realization that we could spend the next 40 years without them is pretty tough. We were just a really close family that's all. Life was richer with them in it. Life is great. Life is better than great most days, but there isn't a day that goes by I don't miss them both. So hear me: if you have your parents make the best of this time He gives you. Hug them. Thank them. Tell them how your world would never be the same without them. Spend time with them. Be patient with them. Let them matter to you. Plan that visit that was supposed to happen six months ago. Make that phone call and engage yourself in the conversation. I don't know what I'd do if I had to add guilt to the mix. How grateful I am we made the most of our time together. I just know it would be really great to have them over for supper tonight. It would be really great to see them again...

2 Comments:

Blogger sara said...

I experienced that guilt this past weekend sitting at the funeral and hearing the words of the preacher about how much my grandma loved her family. I didn't spend as much time with her as I should have. I guess there wasn't much effort on both ends. But she is gone now and so many stories are lost. So many hugs and "I love you's" that could have been shared. You can never get that back. The guilt sits there. But...
There are still others that need to be told that I love them.
There are still other stories that I need to hear.
There are still other hugs and kisses to be given.
We just have to make the most of our lives and never hesitate to share what's on our hearts.
Thanks for sharing Ret. I love you. See you tomorrow!

1:09 PM  
Blogger ret said...

Beautiful stuff Sara. Thanks. As I read your post I realize how little intention I give to connecting with some of my aunts, cousins, even friends sometimes in the name of being busy. Or pooped :) We're starting up our monthly lunch with aunts/cousins today. Started doing it after dad died and with the wedding and summer, well, you know how that goes.

Praying you have a safe flight. See you soon! Love you, Sara.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home