Friday, April 15, 2005

The Alpha and Omega of My Mowing Career

Several people assured me that mowing is good for the soul with lots of meditative benefit. Well, the only meditative thoughts I had during the 70 minutes I spent pushing that thing were anything but soulful. First of all dad came over to help me start the stupid machine. I told him he was a witness to history in the making. Actually, he may have been witness to a once in a lifetime event.

Anyway, I did the front yard twice because I decided I liked the diagonal pattern better than the circle I made the first time round. Front yard, fine. East side yard, okay. Hill in back, boring, and I was getting sweaty. So far the only meditation going on was whether or not I was going to get blisters, and that next time I shouldn't wear a sweatshirt.

The hill behind our backyard fence wasn't too tough; I just think I was beginning to realize that doing this all summer, in 95 degree weather might be more than I'm interested in pursuing. I could have used a drink but I couldn't release the safety lever or the mower would quit and I was afraid I'd never get it started again. So I move on to the west bank.

Did one strip (It's quite a bank. We had part of it filled in with rock but there is still enough to be a pain.) I skipped over, actually mowed over, to the west side yard. I resumed the diagonal pattern and resolved myself to the distinct possibility I was going to have blisters on not only my hands but my feet as well. So far, 10 minutes of this was entertaining, the rest I can live without.

I looked at my watch, determined to finish before Kevin came home for lunch, although it is Friday and he usually goes to the bank instead, I just thought he may have read my post and it would get the best of him. I conquered the remainder of the west bank with thoughts I cannot share. I returned the mower to the garage and dragged my sorry butt into the kitchen. This is why I like the piano.

At 12:30 Kevin walks in yelling at me. (Like clockwork, this guy.) He hates the grass. Something about leaving clumps of grass everywhere and how I didn't round the trees properly. I told him it was my first try, that I could do better, that there was no good reason for him to work all week and have to come home and mow the grass, that it was the least I could do...but nothing would do him. The grass means everything in the world to him, it appears. And who am I to rob him of this simple pleasure. Thank you Jesus.

I confess to these nobler thoughts:

  • I have taken for granted his willingness to commit to this chore.
  • I will never tell him it's easier than laundry again.
  • If he ever mentions getting another rider, it's a done deal.
  • Hats off to all you merry mowers of the world.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pam said...

I'm proud of you for trying it out dear.

9:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I mowed the lawn once in junior high... i ended up in the ER. Turns out, I have a severe grass allergy. Which is a magnificent blessing. I NEVER have to mow the grass again!

12:04 AM  
Blogger ret said...

No kidding. I suppose I could keep that in mind, should Kevin recant and decide he liked having it out of the way...I just feel like such a wimp :)

8:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home