Sunday, July 31, 2005

appalling...inspiring horror, dismay, or disgust...

Last Friday's editorial page included a letter from a local pastor condemning Christian rock music in general and an upcoming Christian music festival, SHOUTfest, specifically. This particular festival is something being hosted by WGCA, our local CCM radio station. Personally, I was excited to hear about it and Shawna, John and Neal are thinking about entering the battle of the bands segment of the tour which totally...rocks.

This pastor had me at "appalling". He sites personal experience and several King James references in support of his conclusions: Matt. 7:6; 2 Cor. 6:14-15; Heb. 1:3-4 [because rock and roll was a term designated to mean illicit sex] & Mal. 3:5-6.

I immediately wanted to search a copy of his hymnal to dog ear all the hymns whose melodies were originally "appalling" bar songs but quickly and surprisingly discovered there are a significant list of links to articles that declare this to be a myth. And one I have long believed.

He's obviously passionate about this subject and writes with a conviction in his belly and enough integrity to sign his name along with that of the church he pastors, but it's been a week and no one has submitted any response. And I have it sitting on my desk taunting me. Appalling.

David dancing in his underwear.

Mary great with child.

John the Baptist.

Mary Magdalene.

Jesus.

Scott Ross of CBN writes: "Music and the performing arts are not intrinsically evil in themselves. The utilization of the creative arts are set apart (sanctified) by the vessel that God chooses to express Himself through. God certainly has used strange methods and messengers to package His message in. Throughout the Scriptures, God has used prostitutes, the crippled, the blind, tax collectors, farmers, fishermen, shepherds, kings, Jews, Gentiles, murderers, and adulterers and redeemed them for the purposes of His Kingdom."

And perhaps even a SHOUTfest or two.

I can appreciate his attempt to honor a God that changest not. But to go so far as to say "For a true born-again, Bible-believing Christian to accept rock music regardless of the words and its participants is not walking in the paths of God's word." might be a little if not appalling, at the least judgmental, and from the scripture he quotes, even he would agree that judgment call lies in the hands of the Almighty. And that unchanging God of ours is still searching hearts to get to the center of things. If He uses an electric guitar to do it, fine by me. And actually preferred. Besides, I would be surprised to find his congregation using only lyres and timbrels every Sunday morning...which would actually rock if the hearts behind the lyres and timbrels are more concerned with their own awareness of their unworthiness to come before such a holy God in worship than the life changing expressions being experienced by others in many different forms of musical style.

I know this: no Contemporary Christian song has ever inspired me to have sex. Illicit or otherwise. TMI :)

I have however been moved to tears, moved to my knees, moved to my feet, moved to change and moved into a deeper relationship with Jesus. I'm thinking this SHOUTfest will only be appalling to the father of lies and those who believe them. If it's not your thing or your preferred style of expression, or if this genre causes you to engage in memories of a past long forgotten, don't come. But engage caution when condemning those who do. A God who smiles at creation might just be honored as thousands of His created gather to abandon themselves in worship beside a mighty river under the expanse of the heavens. And you can bet He'll be listening to the hearts and lives in attendance and not so much the instrument of choice. I'm also betting and praying He'll send His Spirit along for the ride.

3 Comments:

Blogger deby said...

I think me dear that you have just written the reply to the dear man!

Got a stamp?

12:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you go ret! Well said .. Kudos to you!

Tina

7:20 PM  
Blogger Valerie Dykstra said...

I have a confession, dear Ret. I have noticed a number of Christian rock guys have amazingly sexy voices. Does this make me a sicko? That backup guy in Petra, oh my, his voice is so seductive. But hey, he is not responsible for my sick dark heart. I agree with Deby that you should submit your letter to the editor. This pastor man annoys me. :-)

9:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home