Wednesday, May 31, 2006

truly, john mitchell...

I can get pretty misty eyed when I think of how my life has been blessed by Johnny. I just don't think there are that many mother & son-in-law relationships that even come close to ours. It's warped at times, I'll admit, but I wouldn't have it any other way. We have such a wonderful history and have had such a rich chance to develop our friendship in so many different layers over the years.

I don't remember too much about when he was really little. I was just out of college when he was born- dating Kev at the time and burning the wick at both ends with multiple part-time jobs, church & family stuff, but I remember having his cute little self in my youth choir, complete with round rimmed glasses and chubby cheeks. So. cute. Simply adorable.

I knew we'd have fun. I knew we'd make some fantastic music together for years to come. Countless hours of rehearsals spent fine tuning their harmonies and just flat out laughing our butts off. So much laughter. I never really thought about it, but I think we pretty much spent once or twice a week together for over ten years in either rehearsals or services. Not to mention the months of daily rehearsals for the SHINE phenomenon.

The thing is, I've never tired of the little poop. He never fails to light up my eyes when he walks into the room or make me laugh at his endless antics. I've been furious with him a time or two, I won't lie, but I'm telling you, this boy got under my skin a long time ago and stayed there.

Pam and I were blessed to have him in our D-group his senior year at CIY. I forget zillions of things but I'll never forget the morning we had to bless them one by one.

The leader packet suggested we use Romans 12:1 to speak a blessing to each student as they left the group. I honestly thought it was going to be awkward and lame but being the obedient servants we are, Pam and I decided to try it. We had several seniors in our group so it was a pretty cool thing to be able to speak the Word over them but when I saw John standing in front of me, I could barely get the words out. I really thought at the time, our journey would end. He was going to Truman and off to conquer the world, even though we had a pact to roll into eternity (me first of course) in a praise band together for all time. Or atleast until it was time to roll me away from the piano. But he stood there waiting for me to bless him. Tearfully, and with breaking voice I said: "Therefore, I urge you John, in view of God's mercy, to offer your body as a living sacrifice, holy and pleasing to God—this is your spiritual act of worship. I love you, John." I had given up all hope of him and Shawna ever getting together and really thought the ride was over.

I look back at that moment from this day and just can't believe the trip. I could sit and watch him dance all night long. I have a heart full of all our Higher Praise rehearsals and SHINE escapades. The percussion numbers and flashlight routines. All those weekends he drove home from either Truman or Central; all those Wednesday nights he did the same thing- just because he'd rather play those drums and worship for an hour or so than anything else he could have done. I remember all the times he camped out in the hallway outside my office catching up on his week, or perusing the latest percussion catalogs and suckering me into one more toy. Sunday mornings, three services, and another rehearsal and service Sunday nights for the teens. Not to mention all the WIP stuff. Great times. Watching him and Brian together. Seeing him interact with the guys in adult choir. He's just the type of kid who steals the show. Whose goofy and sometimes inappropriate sense of humor makes everyone want to be around him. Well, not everyone I guess. Had a few laughs over the guys that wanted to stuff him inside a bass drum somewhere so the girls in the group would consider their company for a change. But I see their point. Few can compete with the likes of John Mitchell.

I full out called him an idiot for dismissing the attentions of my baby girl and I remember the emails during his "awakening" period. But when he finally decided to test the waters of dating my little girl I knew he had thought it through. Several family vacations and van trips later we are here. I cherish this boy and always will. He captured my heart a long time ago and I have no defense. He can make me so mad sometimes I want to spit nails. But that smile of his can change the world. It has mine. And today, when I prayed for him, I thanked God for putting him in my life and for placing him there early on so we'd have such wonderful memories behind us. Then I thanked Him for the ones in the making. And I had to smile when I heard him say "got a second?" from his office next to mine, to see if I'd offer an opinion on his current project.

That God. Never in my wildest dreams.

I love you Johnny boy. You're a keeper. But you're so not getting my lap top...

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Not sure which of the last 2 posts makes me smile more.

7:11 AM  
Blogger ret said...

Choose. Please choose :)Then push the wheelchair and listen...

11:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home