Tuesday, July 24, 2007

One more funny.

Shawna and Kevin and I gave John Playstation 2 and Guitar Hero for his birthday. He brought it along for the trip. He's been bugging me to try it for a while now, ever since he started playing the one here at church, which led to us getting him his own. The first night in the hotel he hooks it up and Shawna and him begin what would go on for the duration of our vacation: dueling guitars. They are both pretty good, but I must say, at the risk of sounding the doting parent, Shawna is simply amazing. Amazing.

Anyway, the next morning, he hands me the second guitar while Shawna is in the shower. I question him to death on all the details before we start. He patiently breaks it down and gives me many tedious details in addition to the questions I supply. And so begins my first try. I actually beat him a couple times. Each song I watch his face. The only person I compete with more than Kevin is John. We just can't stop. I ask him if a 133-note streak is good. He weakly says it isn't bad. Still, no accolades from this boy. Not one. Even though we could both see my player slamming her guitar on the stage floor to thunderous applause. I restrained myself from my normal gloating sensing the tension in his face as he sat there on the bed next to mine and due to the following admission.

Standing outside a store at the MOA waiting for Shawna to exit, I matter-of-factly comment that I think I actually played better the night I played with Shawna at their house than I did in the hotel. (He smiles) That’s right. I let you think it was my first time. Yup. All those questions. Uh, huh. (He breathes, relieved I didn’t smoke him my first time up.)

I so got him. I so.got.him.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Not sure which one to comment on first! Thanks for the laughs, I'd give money for the snap shots of everytime you got the best of John! I too find a medicinal peace in the Office and I too would send little kitty out in a raft after 2 hours of meowing! Thanks for the update, you should either write a book about this or make a tv show, maybe something others could watch on the crappy vacation they don't want to be on and can't wait till next year to take again

9:40 PM  
Blogger ret said...

Lol. I'm thinking a show about Kevin alone would find it's market. The older he's getting the surer I am we will not be traveling the country in a motor home, no matter how big it is :) And John. Well...

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home