Monday, August 01, 2005

first loves...

Veronica and I were on the phone forever this morning. She had a busy weekend and we didn't really get to jaw much since Thursday so we made up for lost time.

Tangent: I remember trying to call my mom when she was talking to my Aunt Liz, it was like murder getting through, which generally meant we were waiting somewhere for a ride home. No caller id. We would play this game of calling home, then calling Aunt Liz and resolving to sit a spell if both lines were busy.

Tangent II: My dad was trying to reach Veronica the other night and she was talking to me, so he always calls my number since I have caller id and she doesn't. I tell her he's on the other line and that he's probably trying to reach her, since I had already talked with him and knew this, so we hang up so I can answer his call and tell him to call her. Which I do. But he gets confused and calls me and starts telling me what he really wanted to tell her. And I interrupt him and tell him it's me. And not her. And tell him he better hang up quick or she'll call me back and we'll start all over again. Which is what happens. And I tell her the same thing. When she called back after successfully talking to dad, I say I better just bite the bullet and get three way calling. Save us all some trouble.

Tangent III: Before the days of caller id, mom would always call twice and hang up. That was my cue to pick up the phone so she wouldn't get my irritating machine. Which often failed because she assumed I was home and didn't want to talk to her so she would leave these exasperated/irritated messages that would make me cringe sometimes when I'd get home. She never did believe I just wasn't home. Boy, I miss that.

End of tangents. Back to the phone call.

She was sharing something precious about Chandler and his little heart. We got to talking about crushes and first loves. I proceeded to tell her my first kiss was outside my first grade classroom during recess. I know the corner, I can see the playground. I can see the windows. I tell her someone ratted us out and Mrs. Lichtenberg made us both stand in front of the room and swear we wouldn't kiss again. We did however trade paper rings and he placed his grass-growing potato head next to mine on the shelf by the windows. In second grade I crushed out on another sweet boy and this relationship went unsquelched till he moved away in the middle of 4th grade. He wrote our class a letter though and I nearly fainted when the teacher read aloud his personal hello to me. My parents even made a trip to let me visit him once. He was tall and blonde with blue eyes. It took me forever to get over that. Aww... first loves are precious, no?

Anyway. Veronica laughed at my details and said we are not related. I want to meet this mailman she speaks of...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home