Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Your Bass-ic Observation!

My dad stopped by this morning and had me type a couple of his latest poems. Enjoy.
This big old bass was no one’s fool
He laid on the bottom where it was cool.
There’s a splash above and oh, my dear,
Look at this night crawler hangin’ here.
This could be trouble I’ve no doubt,
Y’all wait here, I’ll check this out.
There’s the worm, the leader and there’s the cork,
And yep, there’s the rod and there’s old dork.
He keeps coming, don’t know when to quit,
He must think I’m as dumb as owl s***.
He’s fishing deep though the water’s hazy,
You bluegill keep nibblin’ it’ll drive him crazy.
The flies are buggin’ him, he’s starting to squirm,
He’s probably down to his last worm.
Just as I thought, he’s getting drastic,
Here comes the one that’s made of plastic.
I’ll admit it looks good just wiggling by,
Whoops, he almost fooled that little guy.
He sits on that bucket and refuses to leave,
Over and over, just cast and retrieve.
Every cast he makes, he makes a wish,
I suppose he deserves to catch a good fish.
I guess I could grab it and give him a thrill,
He’ll just throw me back, at least I hope he will.
This hook kinda smarts, but I’ll make a run,
He’s up on his feet, he’s really having fun.
Time for me to surface and jump and shake,
I’m well aware of the pleasure that will make.
About time to let him start reeling me in,
I’ll let him believe that I couldn’t win.
One last pull, then I’m on the bank,
He’s had fun and has me to thank.
He reaches down, and grabs me by the jaw,
Says I’m the nicest fish he ever saw.
Well now, that kinda gets me, right to the heart,
He’s really pretty ugly, but he’s a nice old fart.
I must be kinda special, all the pictures he took.
He said, ‘I’m sorry if I hurt you, removing the hook.’
I’m thinking this is about all I can take,
Frankly, I’m ready to go back in the lake.
Bless his heart, he didn’t toss me, like some guys might,
Laid me gently in the water, said he hoped I was all right.
Bet you thought you’d never, ever hear me say,
I’m glad I got hooked; I made an old man’s day.

-Big Billy Bass

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home